1680X1050 at Ubuntu 12.04 LTS 3.2.0-40

Robin robinkinney at core.com
Wed May 1 13:22:48 PDT 2013

Everything is fine at the 3.2.0.39 Generic kernal and I haven't had any
problems with earlier kernels of 12.04 Ubuntu.  When I upgraded to
3.2.0-40 Generic several weeks ago the boot almost always fails at
1680X1050 but sometimes is ok.

I have Intel HD Graphics 4000  built into the Asus motherboard.  I'm
running two monitors with an HPw2207h 22" connected to VGA1 and HP2009m
20" connected to HDMI2.  If I disconnect either monitor from the
computer the boot is successful.  If I set the HPw2207 resolution to
1600X1000 it will boot using the 3.2.0-40 kernel but, if I then set the
resolution to the optimum, 1600X1050, (xrandr or gui) the monitor will
go blank (and return in 30 seconds back to 1600X1000.  xrandr shows that
I have a mode for 1680X1050 and that it is optimum.  I haven't yet tried
creating a Xorg.conf

The motherboard is an Asus P8z77-V LE and has graphics ports for VGA,
HDMI, DVI and DisplayPort.  The bios is the latest.

The Xorg.0.log indicates a fatal server error of "Add/Screen/ScreenInit
failed for driver 0" and I have Xorg.0.log files available for both a
good boot and a failed boot.  I'm a bit uncomfortable with my
information about the failed Xorg.0.log as the time stamp isn't what I
expect it to be.  I created the file by, after a failed boot, going to
recovery mode from Grub then dropping to a command prompt.

I find similar issues in the mailing list archives but nothing really
close.  I thought I'd send an email to get your input before Bugzilla.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Robin