Setting WM_NORMAL_HINTS.win_gravity via xprop

Dominic Walden dominicwalden at tesco.net
Tue Mar 12 14:39:34 PDT 2013

Hello,

I've been trying to change the value of the "window gravity" property
using xprop. According to the README file for xprop this is the place
to ask.

xprop's manpage doesn't have very much about setting properties in
general, and setting the values of WM_NORMAL_HINTS is particularly
tricky because it is a structure.

I have tried to access the particular field (is that the right word?)
of the structure, such as:

xprop -f WM_NORMAL_HINTS.win_gravity 32i -set WM_NORMAL_HINTS.win_gravity 1

but had no effect on the property's value.

I've also tried the property type

xprop -f WM_SIZE_HINTS 32i

Which returned a comma separated list of integers, and so I tried to
set my own list like below (cut to fit 70 letter column width):

xprop -f WM_SIZE_HINTS 32i -set WM_SIZE_HINTS 532,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,1

but it did not appear to change the value, either.

I've also tried to modify the WINGRAVITY type in hopes that might
help, e.g.:

xprop -f WINGRAVITY 32i -set WINGRAVITY 1

but still no luck.

I have been reading the Xlib documentation and so I guess I could
probably do it programmatically, but I don't think that is the best
solution in the circumstances (also, I haven't done any C programming
in ages.)

If anyone could point me in the right direction it would be greatly
appreciated. Or, is there a better way of doing it?

Debian 6.0.7 (Squeeze)
Using Fluxbox: 1.1.1
xserver-xorg version: 7.5+8+squeeze1
x11-utils version: 7.5+4