Starting kernel module programming

Alan Coopersmith alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
Fri Mar 8 07:30:02 PST 2013

On 03/ 8/13 04:37 AM, karan garg wrote:
> I am an avid linux user and have been using Linux for over two years. I did my
> RHCE two years ago, and have a fair knowledge about BASH scripting as well. I
> want to begin with kernel module programming under the XORG community. So please
> help me with how to start and proceed. I have a basic knowledge of C language as
> well.

The X.Org code base has no kernel modules, as it's user-space code portable to
a range of OS'es, including Linux, BSD, Solaris, MacOS X, Windows, etc.

Kernel code for graphics is mainly handled via the related DRI project, which
has it's own webpages & mailing lists hosted at http://dri.freedesktop.org/
(though at this very moment, they're down like the rest of the freedesktop.org
 web sites, while the admins try to undo years of spam damage that had left
 the webservers highly unstable, but should be back up later today).

	-Alan Coopersmith-              alan.coopersmith at oracle.com