Display not detected -> Xserver not starting

Marcus Larsson marcus.pr.larsson at gmail.com
Sun Jun 9 00:40:14 PDT 2013

Hi everyone,

A brief explanation what my final goal is. I am trying to achieve a
multiseat setup with my TV as one seat and a normal desktop as the second
seat. However I have encountered some problems which actually aren't
related to the multiseat setup.

I used to have one graphic card (NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT in the PCI Express
slot) with 2 DVI sockets which I connected both my TV(Samsung) and my
display(Dell U2312) to and both where identified correctly. However after
reading up on on multiseat I came to the conclusion that it would be much
easier to achieve with to graphic cards so I bought a extra graphic card
(GeForce 8400GS in a PCI slot) and now the problems started to arise. The
new PCI card became my "main" graphic card so at boot up my bios etc. is
displayed on this one which is ok however my Dell Display is now
longer detected for some reason now matter where I connect it.

If I for instance connect the TV to the main graphic card and the Dell
display to the second card I get the following log file and everything
works ok for the TV but as can be seen in the file the Dell screen doesn't
get detected

http://pastebin.com/8K5ZtKWY

If I now would switch the cables I would get a desktop on my Dell screen so
it isn't broken.

If I after that reboot the computer so that my Dell display is on my main
graphic card I don't get a working X server and the log file looks like this

http://pastebin.com/DmLSw0Lj

My xorg file at this point is very simple and looks like

http://pastebin.com/GdNHb8Nk

I am running Ubuntu 12.04 if that could matter somehow.

Does anyone have any idea on what the problem could be? Any input would be
greatly appreciated since I am sort of stuck at the moment.

Best Regards

Marcus