Help? Xinerama with two cards

David Iannucci kbetzy at punchcutter.ml1.net
Fri Jul 12 22:24:37 PDT 2013

> >> KDE 4.11 has KScreen, which is supposed to provide easy management
> >> of multi screen configuration.
>
> > Trying to go more minimalist, not more bloatist :-) :-)
>
> You might have to anyway. According to the last section on
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Multihead#Xinerama it appears
> what's getting in the way of success is KDE itself.

Felix, thanks again. As for KDE, this link's info is dated 2012, and so
I assume it's referring to KDE4, whereas I'm running KDE3.5. I can hope
that my KDE3 will continue working in the long run, but if I have to
ditch it, it'll be ok, and probably even a good thing :=)

I tried startx'ing with only bare IceWM rather than KDE3, and got no
different behavior.

> In spite of having seen that over an hour ago, I've been spending more
> time trying myself.

Wow, there's so much here that I am in no position to understand. Your
hardware situation seems very similar to mine, but there are differences
too (below).

> When I put the Radeon back in the slot, the string HDMI is nowhere to
> be found in the log, though this may be about a BIOS setting.

There appears to be nothing related to graphics in my BIOS menus.

> Apparently with this motherboard at least, whichever between onboard
> and PEG is specified excludes use of the other. Output of lspci seems
> to confirm.

Not apparently true for my machine (Dell XPS tower). To begin with, Win7
can use both displays in this setup just fine :=)

> Likely similar is responsible for your blank #2 display. Do you ever
> see both Intel Graphics and Radeon Graphics in your lspci output?

My #2 is not always blank, but occasionally weird things appear. And
yes, both of my GPUs are reported by lspci in a way that looks
completely normal. lspci -k shows which drivers are being used.
Nothing seems out of ordinary.

> No matter the settings, or whether or not the Radeon is inserted, I've
> been able in every case to get output sent to at least two X displays
> if all used ports are connected to a single graphics chip.

Nice to know... I would be perfectly happy to do this if I had the
right kind of monitors or cables/converters to do so, which I don't
right now :=)

I think I'll play with static configs a little longer, and then just buy
an HDMI-VGA converter, so I can have both monitors driven off the
Intel card, and be done with it.

Dave