ANN: xinput-ui: a simple GUI program to configure MPX

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Wed Jul 3 22:51:14 PDT 2013

Hi Max,

On Wed, Jul 03, 2013 at 12:22:14AM -0800, Max E wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> I have written a simple GUI program in Python for configuring MPX. It
> can be used to create and delete master pointers, and to move hardware
> input devices between master pointers. As far as I know, there is no
> other program that does precisely this job (besides the xinput utility
> itself.)
>
> It works by emitting xinput commands. It is written for Python 2.7 and
> wxPython 2.8. It seems to work pretty well, although there may still be
> bugs. A more detailed README, source code, a screenshot are available on
> the GitHub page for the project:
>   https://github.com/Max-E/xinput-ui
>
> Hopefully someone will find it useful.
>
> However, there is one major gap in the functionality still, namely the
> ability to save the configuration permanently, or better yet, save
> multiple profiles of different pointer configurations. Right now, you
> need to set up the MPX configuration every time you reboot.
>
> I could fairly easily have xinput-ui generate a shell script based on
> the current pointer configuration, which can be run to duplicate that
> configuration at a later time. That's what I'll do if there isn't a
> better way. But is there a standard way to do this?

had a short play with it and it worked as expected. one thing I do have to
caution you for is that the xinput commandline is not a stable API and may
change at any time - breaking the script. You're much better off using
proper XI2 calls in the backend. is there a python-xlib that's XI2
capable?

Cheers,
   Peter