display is stale until mouse wiggled or screen touched

Loving, Kent kent.loving at boeing.com
Wed Jan 30 10:26:15 PST 2013

I'm running a custom build of debian squeeze w/ Xorg 1.7.7 on an embedded device that has a touchscreen. I use xinit to start the X server, with a .xinitrc which starts a single java/Swing program (no display manager).

My problem is that the display does not repaint often enough. Examples of 'not often enough':

-        When a button is pressed, the button changes as it should, but when the button is released the button does not return to normal

-        When a progress bar is updated smoothly by a background thread, the displayed progress bar updates in jumps

-        When the text of a label is changed, the displayed text does not change.
If I wait long enough (sometimes minutes) then display will update.

These problems go away if the user is constantly tapping the screen or wiggling the mouse.

These problems do not occur when the same build is run on a different vendor's hardware, nor when run in a vmware virtual machine.

Can someone help please?

Thanks in advance,
Kent Loving