softimage_opensuse_XGetRequest

Thomas Lübking thomas.luebking at gmail.com
Sun Jan 27 02:07:47 PST 2013

On Sonntag, 27. Januar 2013 09:35:19 CEST, Eric Gunther wrote:
> The error is:
>
> ------------
> /usr/Softimage/Softimage_2011/Application/bin/XSI.bin: symbol lookup
> error: /usr/Softimage/Softimage_2011/Application/bin/libXext.so.6:
> undefined symbol: _XGetRequest
> ---------

Softimage comes with it's own version of libXext, that version was linked against libX11 with exported _XGetRequest.
Your version of libX11 will not export the symbol (thus the error statement)

readelf -swf /usr/lib/libX11*.so | grep _XGetRequest

and Softimage does likely not bring it's own libX11

Either you're lucky, softimage ships libXext for no reason and you can simply move it away (so that the system version is used) or (cleaner solution, issues with the before could emerge later during use) you need a version of libX11 which exports the symbol.

That's sth. you've to ask openSuSE folks about then.

It may also work to copy the 32bit variant from the Distro package to the Softimage binary dir as libXext.so.6 (if softimage is 32bit)

> Softimage is not recommended for this distro, but as far as I can tell
> it is common to have problems with linux.

Software requiring .Net v3 is not recommended for .Net v2, but as far as I can tell it is common to have problems with the ntos kernel"

Sounds silly? Is.

~