trying to build X from git on Debian 6.0.6

Dennis Clarke dclarke at blastwave.org
Tue Jan 22 11:38:45 PST 2013

> On 01/21/13 05:08 PM, Dennis Clarke wrote:
> > Hrmmm .. I guess these CFLAGS are not going to work :
> >
> > aster $ echo $CFLAGS
> > -m64 -g -malign-double -std=iso9899:199409 -pedantic-errors
>
> Current X sources require some C99 features, but you've told your
> compiler to play dumb and refuse to compile C99 sources with
> that -std flag set to the 1994 update to C89.

Well good day to you Sir.  It is good to see that you are well, at least
I hope so, and that you are still deeply into X. It would be of the very
greatest value if you were still doing the good work that you do on
Solaris also.  I was afraid to even breech the topic and it was only
after a week of my own quiet flail and mistakes that I dare wander
into this maillist. My hope was that a bare bones Debian install
would be a good path of least resistance with an actual Xorg
package being built on Solaris somewhere down the road. Indeed,
yes, good to see your name on an email.

Having said all that, I am less comfortable in Linux than Solaris but
such is life. I had CFLAGS in my .profile ( .bashrc etc ) that simply shot
me in the foot.

At the moment I am going to try to use these :

aster $ echo $CFLAGS
-m64 -g -malign-double -fexceptions -fpic -fvisibility=default
-mtune=opteron -march=opteron -m128bit-long-double -mpc80 -Wl,-q

At least reasonable if not a bit verbose. I am not too sure where the
libs required for X will reside otherwise I would do -Wl,--rpath=foo
now to ensure the dynamic section of the ELF struct pointed to the
correct RPATH.

For now I think I will stay in a tight loop going from "try, fail, identify"
through to "reset, correct the deps needed, try again" until everything
just builds out of the gate.

Hopefully the final bits of getting X to start with a dead simple wm like
twm will be a no brainer.

Dennis