Updating my Xorg on RHEL 6 etc

Dave Airlie airlied at gmail.com
Mon Jan 14 17:42:15 PST 2013

On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 11:01 AM, Dennis Clarke <dclarke at blastwave.org> wrote:

>> >     Has anyone done this sort and thing AND written a blog somewhere
>> about it ?
>> >
>> >    Just looking for pointers in the right direction, along with "be
>> careful of .." type stuff.
>>
>> you can install a second X server from git (or anywhere) next to your
>> existing one:
>> http://who-t.blogspot.com.au/2012/05/testing-x-servers-from-git.html
>
> Excellent, thank you.
>
>> Obviously, for a production environment I recommend sticking to the
>> Red Hat supported bits, especially since we keep it quite up-to-date anyway.
>
> Well yes, my RHEL world is pretty stable ( I mean rock solid ) and I don't like to mess
> with that, however I also like to test and do various little things without feeling restricted
> by my OS vendor ( you know, Microsoft, Oracle etc ).   ;-)
>
> I will most likely fire up a Debian box for this and see what the issues are with
> this fancy NVidia Quadro card that RHEL says can not do 3-D acceleration.

We don't support RHEL6 nouveau 3D drivers, so we don't enable them,
rebuilding the RHEL6 mesa package
with the nouveau drivers enabled should give you a working 3D as of
what Mesa was shipped in RHEL6.2.

When RHEL6.4 is released it would probably be more worth doing, as its
planned to have a newer Mesa.

Dave.