Updating my Xorg on RHEL 6 etc

Dennis Clarke dclarke at blastwave.org
Mon Jan 14 15:30:24 PST 2013

> On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 8:09 AM, Dennis Clarke <dclarke at blastwave.org>
> wrote:
> >
> > Dear X folks :
> >
> >     One of the things I have long wanted to do is build X from the
> ground up and replace the
> > version running on my workstation. This probably is not recommended
> by the Red Hat folks
> > as I am using RHEL 6 workstation and I am sure that future updates
> from them would mess
> > with any custom work I am doing. Or perhaps not?  Really I don't know.
>
> Well RHEL6 gets updates to fairly new bits every second minor release
> or so, and yes we don't recommend doing it yourself :-P

I sort of figured that was the case. Murky deep waters therein and my workstation
runs really really well. All with the exception of dealing with my NVidia Quadro 3500
graphics card, which RHEL seems to think can not do 3-D desktop features. I was
thinking, well gee, latest X can do nearly anything one dreams of .. why not .. etc etc

> But we have a tinderbox running on RHEL6 and it builds using jhbuild,
>
> You should probably start by reading:
> http://wiki.x.org/wiki/ModularDevelopersGuide

Excellent, thank you. I will certainly take a look as well as perhaps roll out a fully separate Debian Linux box for this experiment of mine.

Dennis