Updating my Xorg on RHEL 6 etc

Dennis Clarke dclarke at blastwave.org
Mon Jan 14 14:09:26 PST 2013

Dear X folks :

    One of the things I have long wanted to do is build X from the ground up and replace the
version running on my workstation. This probably is not recommended by the Red Hat folks
as I am using RHEL 6 workstation and I am sure that future updates from them would mess
with any custom work I am doing. Or perhaps not?  Really I don't know.

    I was going to create a small Debian Linux virtual machine within VMware and then use
that to try a build with all X related bits going into /opt under something like /opt/X11.

    Has anyone done this sort and thing AND written a blog somewhere about it ?

   Just looking for pointers in the right direction, along with "be careful of .." type stuff.

Dennis