Optimizing behaviour of Synaptics Clickpad on Sony Vaio Z13

Markus Ellinger meyer at mesw.de
Fri Jan 4 14:41:59 PST 2013

Am 04.01.2013 07:14, schrieb Peter Hutterer:
> > Thanks, that's great. If this patch is added, will we still need to
> > manually set a dead area on the buttons? Or is there a possibility
> > to change the default config files so that if there are clickpad
> > buttons, those are automatically marked as "dead area"?
> no, I'd rather not make this a default. I'll add an example to the default
> config file but people use their touchpads quite differently and we can't
> tell. specifically, we configure the soft buttons to work as left/right on
> non-apple clickpads but a user who enables tapping is less likely to use the
> buttons. disabling the area for those users is a regression.

So how is the user who uses tapping supposed to do the right mouse
button click?

I think what you're saying really depends on the type of trackpad used.
For example, my touch pad looks like this one:

http://www.cnet.de/wp-content/uploads/legacy_images/story_media/41557080/sony_vaio_z21_tastatur_touchpad.jpg

The buttons are clearly visible as such and they also contain the finger
print reader area. I doubt that anyone is temped to use those buttons
for moving the mouse pointer.

Just while I'm at it, is it possible to configure the buttons so that
merely tapping (not pressing) them issues the right or left mouse click?
Now that would be sweet.

Cheers,
Markus