xorg-server 1.13.1, - checksum post-mortem

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Fri Jan 4 09:32:05 PST 2013

On Friday 04 January 2013 12:27:11 Alan Coopersmith did opine:
Message additions Copyright Friday 04 January 2013 by Gene Heskett

> On 01/ 4/13 04:48 AM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > I'll 2nd that sentiment.  I have had several occasions where I
> > downloaded the bzip2 and had to go back and get the .gz because whole
> > directory trees were missing from the unpacked archive.  Once or
> > twice I have pulled the bzip2 a 2nd time, same md5sum, but the 2nd
> > time unpacked well enough to build.  A 2nd unpack of the first
> > download was still defective.
> >
> > In short, bzip2 has not been 100% trustworthy here.
>
> We always use the bzip2 archives for building our packages, and haven't
> hit any problems.  Since no one else reports any corrupted archives on
> the X.Org download sites, it sounds more likely a problem on your end.

I can count the problems on one hand Alan, so its well over 99% dependable,
but not 100%, which was my point.  bzip2 has also had 3 or 4 updates since
that time frame but I've done zero research to see if the reported reason
for the updates was possibly related.

Thanks.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
My views
Win98 error 009: Erroneous error: Nothing is wrong.
I was taught to respect my elders, but its getting
harder and harder to find any...