About xorg.conf

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 20 08:06:51 PST 2013

On 2013-02-20 15:37 (GMT+0530) Mrinmayee Hingolikar composed:

> I have built X server 1.11.3 for Pandaboard. I want to know about
> configuration of the server. There is no xorg.conf file in my system but a
> bunch of configuration files in /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d.
> When I run Xorg -configure, it fails saying no devices to configure.
> So could anyone please tell me what is the correct way to configure the X
> server, so that it uses the driver that i have built and not the fbdev
> driver?

Using the following 3 files in xorg.conf.d/ should be all you need:

# 50-screen.conf
Section "Screen"
   Identifier "Default Screen"
   Device "Default Device"
   Monitor "Default Monitor"
EndSection

# 50-monitor.conf
Section "Monitor"
     Identifier	"Default Monitor"
#    Option	"PreferredMode"	"1600x900"
EndSection

# 50-device.conf
Section "Device"
   Identifier "Default Device"
   Driver "NameOfMyCustomCompiledPandaboardDriver"
EndSection

Optionally, combine the three files into one xorg.conf file instead.

Automagic should take care of everything else.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/