How to over-ride the autoconfigured Device-section?

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 5 08:51:56 PST 2013

On 2013-02-05 15:15 (GMT+0200) Harald Hannelius composed:

> I'd like to try out a few options for the radeon-driver, but I can't for my
> life figure out why my custom conf-file in /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d is
> ignored.

> The file looks like this;

> # cat 53-radeon.conf
> Section "Device"
>   	Driver	"radeon"
>   	#Identifier "Device0"
>   	#Identifier "Configured Video Device"
>   	#Identifier "Default Device"
>   	Identifier "ATI Radeon HD 5570"
>   	#Identifier "RADEON(0)"
>   	BusID "PCI:0:1:0:0"
>   	#ChipID 0x68d9
>   	#disable
>   	Option "SwapbuffersWait" "off"
>   	# enable
>   	Option "ColorTiling"  "on"
>   	# enable
>   	Option "ColorTiling2D" "on"
> EndSection

> I seem to be unable to guess at what I should put in the Identifier line so
> these changes get applied. The files gets read, a typo in it will make the
> x-server unstartable.

It may depend on customizations of the distro you use, but I have found that
any changes you wish to make to video via xorg.conf.d/ require you connect
device, monitor and screen via their identifiers. Look at
http://fm.no-ip.com/Share/xorg.conf-minimal-EDID-workaround and/or
http://fm.no-ip.com/Share/xorg.conf-minimal-force-DPI to see what I mean.

Also remember when troubleshooting X video that /var/log/Xorg.#.log is your
friend. It's probably telling you what's wrong.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/