CentOS, radeon driver, dual monitor, fun (NOT)]

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Fri Apr 26 07:56:21 PDT 2013

Alex Deucher wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 10:26 AM,  <m.roth at 5-cent.us> wrote:
>> Well, I posted this a week ago. Does *anyone* have any suggestions as to
>> what I need to do with my xorg.conf to get my user back to normal?
<snip>
> Did you try Dave's suggestion?  Does it work correctly using randr
> before you try the legacy screen based multi-head setup?

Which was that, to try to bring up X with no xorg.conf file? I did that
days before I posted; that was an obvious thing to try. No, that didn't
work, it left me, IIRC, with one screen. Xorg --configure reported it had
failed, showed four monitors (?), and left me with both lit, but one
completely unreachable.

Right now, so he can work, I've got it using xrandr, xinerama off, and he
can drag a mouse between windows, but cannot drag anything else between
them.

And if the problem with xinerama wasn't clear, here's some ascii art:

       _________  _________
       | |      | | |      |
       | |      | | |      |
       | |      | | |      |
       | |______| | |______|

That's what it looks like after moving the mouse around, with the "L"
black, and offscreen. Again, using a mouse, we can move it up and down, so
as to see the whole screen, but cannot move the mouse right to push the
screen back to the left.

This is what I meant about it looking as though the viewport, or whatever
the correct X term is, is larger than the screen, though I can't imagine
why. I've also tried putting in the absolute offset, and that makes no
difference.

       mark