Having troublh working out how to STOP monitor detection.

Glenn Alexander galexand at uow.edu.au
Wed Apr 10 20:01:00 PDT 2013

Hi list users,

I have a Linux box (AMD-64, Debian Stable, fglrx) set up for digital signage driving 2 full-HD monitors via DisplayPort (and a control screen on an old XGA LCD in the closet). The signage monitors are internally configured to shut themselves down overnight and restart themselves each weekday morning. This plays merry havoc with the content as X11 and/or the window manager  (kWin) tries to shuffle things around to fit on remaining monitors. End result is the control monitor (which doesn't shut down) ends up with everything on it the next day.

I am having trouble working out how to disable the automatic monitor detection so that X11 just carries on as if the monitors are still there while they are shut down  for the night/weekend. Basically I want to completely ignore all monitor power events.

Hunting around the 'net has given me tantalising hints that DPMS or udev may be involved but since everyone else in the world seems to want the exact opposite of what I want* (ie, to have automatic P&P) I am having little joy finding a solution :(

*...well... plenty of Windows7 users complaining about not being able to change channels on a HDTV being used as a secondary monitor without scrambling their desktops, while MS ignores them, but that is even less help. :)

FYI: my xorg.conf presently looks like:

Section "ServerLayout"
                Identifier     "amdcccle Layout"
                Screen      0  "MainScreen" 0 0
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
                Identifier   "0-DFP1"
                Option      "VendorName" "ATI Proprietary Driver"
                Option      "ModelName" ""
                Option      "DPMS" "false"
                Option      "PreferredMode" "1920x1080"
                Option      "TargetRefresh" "60"
                Option      "Position" "1920 0"
                Option      "Rotate" "normal"
                Option      "Disable" "false"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
                Identifier   "0-DFP2"
                Option      "VendorName" "ATI Proprietary Driver"
                Option      "ModelName" ""
                Option      "DPMS" "false"
                Option      "PreferredMode" "1920x1080"
                Option      "TargetRefresh" "60"
                Option      "Position" "0 0"
                Option      "Rotate" "normal"
                Option      "Disable" "false"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
                Identifier   "0-CRT1"
                Option      "VendorName" "ATI Proprietary Driver"
                Option      "ModelName" ""
                Option      "DPMS" "false"
                Option      "PreferredMode" "1024x768"
                Option      "TargetRefresh" "60"
                Option      "Position" "1376 1080"
                Option      "Rotate" "normal"
                Option      "Disable" "false"
EndSection

Section "Device"
                Identifier  "card-0"
                Driver      "fglrx"
                Option      "Monitor-DFP1" "0-DFP1"
                Option      "Monitor-DFP2" "0-DFP2"
                Option      "Monitor-CRT1" "0-CRT1"
                BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
                Identifier "MainScreen"
                Device     "card-0"
                DefaultDepth     24
                SubSection "Display"
                                Viewport   0 0
                                Virtual   3840 1920
                                Depth     24
                EndSubSection
EndSection

Regards,
Glenn Alexander
Technical Officer
Digital Media Centre
Faculty of Creative Arts
232.G11b Mike Codd Building, Innovation Campus
University of Wollongong NSW 2522
T   + 61 2 4221 5847
W  http://www.uow.edu.au/crearts/digitalmediacentre/<http://www.uow.edu.au/crearts/digitalmediacentre/index.html>
w   www.glenalec.net/DMCTO/<http://www.glenalec.net/DMCTO/>
Tw twitter.com/DMC_TO<http://twitter.com/DMC_TO>
Work Days: M-F 9am-4pm

[cid:image001.gif at 01CE36B1.2FA44890]

Notice: This email is intended for the addressee and may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient please delete it and notify the sender.