Problems with widescreen (16:9) under CentOS 5 w/ xorg-x11-drv-i810-1.6.5-9.40.el5

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Mon Sep 24 12:31:44 PDT 2012

At Sun, 23 Sep 2012 13:43:54 -0400 Robert Heller <heller at deepsoft.com> wrote:

> At Sun, 23 Sep 2012 12:21:57 -0400 Felix Miata <mrmazda at earthlink.net> wrote:
>

> > On 2012-09-23 08:59 (GMT-0400) Alex Deucher composed:
> >
> > > The radeon driver does not depend on the the vesa mode list.  It can
> > > natively program just about any mode supported by the monitor.
> >
> > This seems to imply the Intel driver does not, and make me wonder why it
> > doesn't. Which way do the Nouveau and MGA drivers swing?
>
> It has been suggested (elsewhere in this thread) that the i810 driver
> depends on the vesa mode list, but the intel driver does not.
>
> My next option will be to change the config files to use the intel
> driver as opposed to the i810 driver (which is what the original
> configuration picked automagically).

OK, changing the driver from "i810" to "intel" fixes it!

I discovered another issue.  There seems to be a buffer length problem
in the X server:

Given that the server looks for its config files in these places (from
xorg.conf(5x)):

           /etc/X11/<cmdline>
           /usr/etc/X11/<cmdline>
           /etc/X11/$XORGCONFIG
           /usr/etc/X11/$XORGCONFIG
           /etc/X11/xorg.conf-4
           /etc/X11/xorg.conf
           /etc/xorg.conf
           /usr/etc/X11/xorg.conf.<hostname>
           /usr/etc/X11/xorg.conf-4
           /usr/etc/X11/xorg.conf
           /usr/lib/X11/xorg.conf.<hostname>
           /usr/lib/X11/xorg.conf-4
           /usr/lib/X11/xorg.conf

If <hostname> is longer than 33 characers, the server can't locate/open
the config file. I'm guessing someone is using a fixed size buffer (#1
nono!) that is not big enough.  Yes, some of use use long and meaningful
domain and host names...

This is the directory containing the xorg config files. For two machines,
accounting.wendellfreelibrary.org and clearwater.wendellfreelibrary.org,
the Xserver cannot open its config file using the
/usr/etc/X11/xorg.conf.<hostname> pattern.  I ended up using the
/usr/etc/X11/xorg.conf-4 pattern for both of these machines.

server1.wendellfreelibrary.org% dir -1 /usr/etc/X11/
xorg.conf-4@
xorg.conf.accounting.wendellfreelibrary.or
xorg.conf.accounting.wendellfreelibrary.org
xorg.conf.Acer-DVI.wendellfreelibrary.org
xorg.conf.catalog.wendellfreelibrary.org@
xorg.conf.circdesk.wendellfreelibrary.org@
xorg.conf.clearwater@
xorg.conf.clearwater.wendellfreelibrary.or@
xorg.conf.clearwater.wendellfreelibrary.org@
xorg.conf.HPWideScreen.wendellfreelibrary.org
xorg.conf.kidsone.wendellfreelibrary.org
xorg.conf.kidsone.wendellfreelibrary.org.not
xorg.conf.librarian.wendellfreelibrary.org
xorg.conf.normalscreen.wendellfreelibrary.org
xorg.conf.station1.wendellfreelibrary.org
xorg.conf.station2.wendellfreelibrary.org
xorg.conf.station3.wendellfreelibrary.org
xorg.conf.station5.wendellfreelibrary.org
xorg.conf.ViewSonicWS-DVI.wendellfreelibrary.org
xorg.conf.ViewSonicWS.wendellfreelibrary.org
xorg.conf.widescreen.wendellfreelibrary.org

xorg-x11-server-Xorg-1.1.1-48.90.el5

Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933 / heller at deepsoft.com