Re: Dell D520 and strange X coordinates

Thomas Lübking thomas.luebking at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 11:44:32 PDT 2012

On Dienstag, 30. Oktober 2012 18:48:42 CEST, Michael George wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 30, 2012 at 09:03:51AM -0400, Adam Jackson wrote:
>> On 10/30/12 8:36 AM, Michael George wrote:
>>> This is the output of "xrandr -q" with ctwm running:
>>> Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 3584 x 1024, maximum 4096 x 4096
>>> LVDS1 connected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
>>> 1024x768       60.0 +
>>> 800x600        60.3     56.2
>>> 640x480        59.9
>>> VGA1 connected 1280x1024+1024+0 (normal left inverted right x
>>> axis y axis) 376mm x 301mm
>>
>> See, this here is saying "1280x1024 box, horizontal offset
>> 1024, vertical offset 0".  How are you configuring this
>> display?  Are you just letting xserver decide how to place
>> things, or is there something in your session explicitly
>> configuring RANDR?  If the latter, whatever it is, it's broken.
>
> Correct.  I'm guessing it puts VGA1 to the left of LVDS1, which is 1024
> wide.  I am just letting X start up, so I do not have anything
> explicitly configuring XRANDR as far as I know...

Well, actually you're starting "a session" and the outcome differs related to the used WM and or session script. Something will have an impact here.

(You could try what happens if you actually only start X11 + xterm, ie. "failsafe")

The thing in KDE managing screen setup is krandr.
"kcmshell4 randr" for setup, "krandrtray" in the panel and a script called "krandrstartup" which should be invoked by startkde
If you altered the startkde script to get a different session login, you just might have accidentally dropped it.

If not, you could also check what CTWM does on startup, call "ctwm --replace" from the "regular" session.

Cheers,
Thomas