No subject

Michel Dänzer michel at daenzer.net
Thu Oct 4 07:18:37 PDT 2012

D/sis////
D/smi////
D/spc8110////
D/tdfx////
D/tvga8900////
D/video7////
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              ng K&R-style prototypes?

Jesse Barnes wrote:

>On Wednesday, July 27, 2005 12:24 am, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
>

>>Philip Prindeville wrote:
>>| Is there any reason to keep the few existing instances of
>>| K&R-style prototypes?  There are even files which mix ANSI
>>| and K&R prototypes...
>>|
>>| It would be relatively straightforward to convert over to
>>| completely ANSI style prototypes as part of a clean up.
>>
>>I'm certainly not aware of any reasons not to, as a bunch of code
>>already has been converted. If you do end up going ahead with this,
>>take a look at Thomas Dickey's excellent ansification guide [1].
>>

>There are potential calling convention gotchas to worry about, as I
>understand it, but it should probably be done eventually (sooner the
>better imo).  Sounds like good post-7.0 cleanup work to me.
>
>Jesse

There is at least one way around this.

Have the tool extract the old declarations into a header file (or many
header files) and then load them up with -imacros "old_header_decls.h"
on the command line.  The compiler will then complain (when the
-Wconversion flag is present) of any changed semantics implied by the
conflict of the two different declaration types.

Otherwise, elint might be able to catch these.

-Philip