xf86-input-synaptics: Secondary mouse button isn't recognized

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Sun Nov 25 15:03:08 PST 2012

On Sat, Nov 24, 2012 at 12:52:54AM +0100, Karol Babioch wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm not entirely sure whether this is the right mailing list, however I
> couldn't find a more specific one, so hopefully I'm not too wrong.
>
> It's the first time I run into trouble with synaptics, so probably I
> should thank you guys for the great work you are doing here.
>
> The touchpad I've got trouble with is part of a Sony laptop. The
> touchpad is "special" in that that there aren't any visible buttons. The
> touchpad itself is a "plate" and there are physical clickable buttons in
> the left bottom and right bottom beneath the "plate", which correspond
> to the normal "left" and "right" buttons.
>
> The "left" one gets recognized just fine and is usable within X. However
> the right one isn't recognized at all :(.

please provide your Xorg.log. this should be a clickpad, the matching
property should be set and the right button should be enabled in software.
not sure why it isn't in your case, but without the log it's hard to say
whether it's a bug or it's not recognised properly.

> xinput repots the following:
>
> [andreas at sve input6]$ xinput list-props 12 | grep "Capabilities"
>         Synaptics Capabilities (298):   1, 0, 0, 1, 1, 1, 1
>
> The version of xf86-input-synaptics on my system is 1.6.2.
>
> I have found some advices for getting the "plate" type of touchpad
> working. However, I think they don't apply here, because in my case
> there seem to be real physical buttons beneath the "plate", whereas the
> advices seem to assume that you've got no physical buttons at all.

I don't think that there are the physical buttons, the capabilities property
only describes a left button so my guess is that the right button is
software-emulated based on the finger position.

Cheers,
   Peter