XI2 pointer emulation in more detail

Daniel Drake dsd at laptop.org
Tue Nov 20 07:02:16 PST 2012

On Mon, Nov 19, 2012 at 12:17 AM, Peter Hutterer
<peter.hutterer at who-t.net> wrote:
> no, this sounds like a bug. pointer emulation behaviour should be that only
> the first emulating touchpoint changes the pointer position, with subsequent
> touches not emulating. and a touchpoint is only emulating if there is no
> other touch point on that device when it starts.
>
> I might need more details though, how are you placing the pointer? with
> a mouse?

Yes, the pointer is being placed with a mouse. The OLPC XO laptop in
question has both a touchscreen and a touchpad.

In these tests I am only touching the screen with 1 finger at any one
time. I think your reply might have included multi-touch
considerations (what is a "subsequent touch"?), but I'm not venturing
there yet.

I think you may be suggesting here that having screen touches move the
mouse cursor is by design. Unfortunately that leads to the awkward
hover behaviour and confusing touchscreen user experience outlined in
my original mail. Is there anything on the horizon that might improve
this?

Thanks
Daniel