X Server want not start

Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn chithanh at gentoo.org
Sun Nov 18 18:41:56 PST 2012

Silvio Siefke <siefke_listen <at> web.de> writes:

> i use Gentoo and today come updates for the XServer. Since then the
> Desktop want not start.
>
> I try with xorg.conf and without. I not know what should do now.
>
> Xorg.log.0 > http://pastebin.geany.org/pqHbz/
> xorg.conf > http://pastebin.geany.org/AH33D/

It seems that the pastebin links have expired. It is usually a better idea to
use attachments instead of pastebins where possible.

In your case, ensure that xf86-video-ati was rebuilt against the new
xorg-server, and that KMS is enabled in your kernel. A grep for RADEON in your
kernel config should result in this:

CONFIG_DRM_RADEON=y
CONFIG_DRM_RADEON_KMS=y
# CONFIG_FB_RADEON is not set

If the kernel is configured correctly, "cat /proc/fb" should return
"0 radeondrmfb".

Best regards,
Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn