Awfull rendering of fonts in KDE terminal with nouveau 1.0.3 drivers

Henrik Pauli henrik.pauli at uhusystems.com
Thu Nov 1 08:45:21 PDT 2012

On 2012-10-31 11:44, Thomas Lübking wrote:
> On Mittwoch, 31. Oktober 2012 08:25:12 CEST, Łukasz Maśko wrote:
>> Dnia wtorek, 30 października 2012, Mark Wagner napisał: [...]
>>> The driver probably thinks you're running an LCD, and is scaling
>>> the image to what it assumes is the native resolution.  Try
>>> setting the driver to let the monitor perform scaling, or try
>>> changing your display resolution slightly to try to find what the
>>> driver thinks is the "native" resolution of the monitor.
>>
>> It may be possible. How do you do that? I mean, "setting the driver
>> to let the monitor perform scaling".
>
> Assuming your screen is DVI-I-1
>
> xrandr --output DVI-I-1 --scale 1.5x1.5 Scales the output.
>
>> I think that the driver sets the resolution to 1280x1024
> checking is better then "thinking" ;-)
>
>> (I wish I could change it to 1600x1200, which is the desired
>> resolution).
>
> Check "xrandr -q" for supported modes, outputs and current mode and
> use "xrandr --output DVI-I-1 --mode 1600x1200 --scale 1x1" to set it
>
> This blurring would however impact absolutely everything, every font
> in every window and every other content.

--scale has nothing to do with the final scaling, you might be thinking
about --set "scaling mode" $mode, which is about how the HW should
behave with non-native resolutions.  At least that's the case with LVDS
outputs, not sure if my DVI has such, I don't have such an output
available right this moment.  $mode is as follows:

• "Center" will not stretch at all and 1 px will be 1 px.
• "Full" will stretch the image to the full available space of the
display, with no regard for the aspect.
• "Full aspect" will stretch the image until one side is as big as the
display, aspect is retained as normal.

The last two modes can show up very blurry or just plain odd, depending
on the smoothing done by the display.

To list the current scaling mode, try xrandr --verbose