Error when trying dual graphics cards

Cui, Dexuan dexuan.cui at intel.com
Wed May 16 20:06:21 PDT 2012

Adam Jackson wrote on 2012-05-17:
> On Wed, 2012-05-16 at 16:21 +0000, Cui, Dexuan wrote:
>
>> When Fedora 17 just starts up, only the integrated Intel card has VGA
>> output; when the nVidia driver is loaded and X server finishes
>> startup, on the monitor (the first monitor) attached to the integrated
>> Intel card, I see a gnome GUI session and I can log in, but on the
>> monitor(the second monitor) attached to the add-on nVidia card, there
>> is only a Fedora's logo (the small icon with a white f char and blue
>> background) in the center of the monitor -- no gnome session. And the
>> USB mouse/keyboard inputs are routed to the first monitor only and I
>> can't move the mouse cursor into the second monitor.
>
> X only initializes the primary GPU by default.  If you want more than
> that you need to make an xorg.conf file saying what you want.
Hi ajax,
Thanks for the information!

Yes, by default, “startx” creates an X for the integrated Intel card only and the add-on nVidia card is not managed by X – there is only a Fedora logo (showed by framebuffer somehow) in the center of the monitor.

I killed the X by “init 3” and used “Xorg –configure” to generate an xorg.conf.new and copied it to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.  Later I removed other definitions of screen but kept the one for nVidia, and “startx” could create an X for the nVidia!

The issue is: I can't create 1 X that can manage 2 cards at the same time(according to some info in x.org, it’s said this should work(?)), and I also can't create 2 X servers that use 1 card respectively.

So, though I can't make the 2 cards work at the same time, at least I can manually switch between them by modifying xorg.conf and restart X...

Thanks,
-- Dexuan