Installation of XQuartz on OSX 10.6.2?

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at apple.com
Sat May 12 01:16:52 PDT 2012

This list is probably more appropriate for you:

What are the "interrelated hardware/software setup issues" actually keeping you at 10.6.2?  That's ancient!  If you really need to use such an old update (make sure you're behind a firewall), I'd recommend using MacPorts to build your X11.  See http://xquartz.macosforge.org/trac/wiki/Releases#MacPorts

Just install MacPorts, then install gimp and xorg-server with:
sudo port -v install xorg-server gimp