installing xf86driproto-2.1.1

Gaetan Nadon memsize at videotron.ca
Fri May 11 10:48:18 PDT 2012

On 12-05-11 01:12 PM, oxy wrote:
> Hi,
> i wanna install xf86driproto-2.1.1:
I have extracted this tarball, ran ./configure and 'make install'.
I have commented your output.

>     cd xf86driproto-2.1.1
>     ./autogen.sh
This script should not be invoked from a tarball, it isn't supplied.
Usually no harm done.
Have you somehow supressed terminal output?
>     ./configure
The package is configured using the default prefix "/usr/local". See
'./configure --help' for the location of the various installation
directories.
>     make install
>
>          make[1]: Entering directory `/home/me/tmp/xf86driproto-2.1.1'
>          make[1]: Nothing to be done for `install-exec-am'.
This is the default make target which is a prereq to the 'install'
target. Given this is a protcol header, nothing gets compiled and linked.
>          test -z "/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig" || /bin/mkdir -p\
>                      "/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig"
>          /usr/bin/install -c -m 644 xf86driproto.pc '/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig'
This step has installed the xf86driproto.pc file in /usr/local/lib. If
the env variables are set correctly, you should invoke this command and
have no error messages:

    pkg-config --print-errors xf86driproto

>          test -z "/usr/local/include/X11/dri" || /bin/mkdir -p\
>                      "/usr/local/include/X11/dri"
>           /usr/bin/install -c -m 644 xf86dri.h xf86dristr.h\
>                       xf86driproto.h '/usr/local/include/X11/dri'
This steps install the header file. You should see it in
/usr/local/include/X11/dri
>           make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/me/tmp/xf86driproto-2.1.1'
>
> ... it skips install silently  :-/
Do you have write permission in /usr/local? If you have somehow
supressed terminal output or somehow disabled "stop on error", you will
not be informed that files cannot be installed at the location you
specified when you don't have permissions to do so.

You should be something like this:

/usr/bin/install: cannot create regular file
`/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig/xf86driproto.pc': Permission denied