xf86-video-fbdev and xrandr

Joe Woodward jw at terrafix.co.uk
Thu May 3 01:26:16 PDT 2012

I'm currently running a kdrive (Xfbdev) based Xorg server (1.12.0) on a
embedded platform, but would love to get off it on to a normal modular
Xorg.

The main blocker I see is that Xfbdev supports dynamic rotation using
xrandr, whereas as far as I can see there are no framebuffer-based video-
drivers for Xorg that do this. The likely candidate seems to be xf86-video-
fbdev, and I believe setting a static rotation when the server starts is
possible with the appropriate config file options, but dynamic rotation isn't
supported. I can see from GIT that xf86-video-fbdev hasn't had much input
over the last few years.

Does anyone have any pointers, or even better - any patches (complete or
not) for this?

I can't be the only person stuck on kdrive due to the lack of framebuffer
rotation on normal modular Xorg!?

Cheers,
Joe