Key rate limit

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Wed Mar 28 23:26:15 PDT 2012

On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 12:43:49PM -0400, Paul Vojta wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 11:20:03AM -0500, tsuraan wrote:
> > > I am not sure but xset has a [r rate delay [rate]], would that be any help ?
> >
> > I believe that's for the autorepeat rate, so the rate/delay tells X
> > that once the key is held down for <delay> ms, it should start firing
> > that key at <rate> events/s (my units might be wrong though).  That's
> > sort of the inverse of the problem I have, which is that the keyboard
> > seems to be sending a bunch of keypress events really quickly for a
> > short period of time.
>

> I have a possibly related problem.
>
> Sometimes I get keystrokes occurring via autorepeat even when no keys are
> pressed.  They stop when I hit any other key (even shift).
>
> I've looked into it, and found out that the problem is that the keyboard
> (or control chip) is not sending the "break" code until the next key is hit.
> Then, since X apparently keeps track of which keys are pressed on its own,
> I get the repeated keystrokes.
>
> Is there a way of telling X to just use the autorepeat provided by the
> hardware?

not anymore. we've removed this in server 1.6 (iirc) because that and
software autorepeat had some weird side-effects. sometimes a key would start
hw-repeating before sw-repeat kicked in, causing bursts of keys. and iirc we
had the same problem with keys not getting released correctly.

that was a time when the whole input system was in a turmoil so it's
possible that we could fix this now but I still expect it to be a rather
large (and nasty to test) amount of work to get selective hw repeats.

Cheers,
  Peter