Intel xorg driver problem with rotated display: xterm output is only flushed when I press button on the keyboard or move the mouse

Thomas Glanzmann thomas at glanzmann.de
Sat Mar 24 00:40:06 PDT 2012

Hello Xorg List,
Hello Thomas Dickey,

I still have the same problems with intel driver and a rotated screen.
The symptoms are:

        I do something in the xterm like opening an e-mail in mutt or
        type 'dmesg' and the screen freezes until I press a button or
        wait several seconds, than the xterm immediately updates the
        screen (the program has long finished producing the output.).

I type a command and the output is partially displayed:

http://upload.glanzmann.de/2012-03-24_08.14.24.jpg

I wait 10 seconds or press any key on my keyboard (like shift) or move
the mouse:

http://upload.glanzmann.de/2012-03-24_08.14.32.jpg

I can reproduce the problem on a notebook with another intel graphic
card.

I tried to take the x from debian backports, same problem, I tried to
recompile xterm, same problem. So I'm not sure if this a problem of
xterm or the xserver or the combination of the above. To show you the
problem I took two screenshots:

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/PM/GMS, 943/940GML and 945GT Express Memory Controller Hub (rev 03)
00:00.0 0600: 8086:27a0 (rev 03)
        Subsystem: 10cf:1378
        Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR+ FastB2B- DisINTx-
        Latency: 0
        Capabilities: [e0] Vendor Specific Information: Len=09 <?>
        Kernel driver in use: agpgart-intel

Xorg log of the second notebook I have trouble on:

http://upload.glanzmann.de/lifebook.xorg.0.log

Is there any parameter that I can try to tune, is there a patch for
xterm which I could try? I don't know if it happens in other applications in
acroread and google chrome (the two applications I run other than xterm
most of the time) I did not notice anything. However that could be
because I constantly move the mouse, when surfing the web.

Cheers,
        Thomas