Quadruple X-xscreen

Dick Summerfield ds at iae.nl
Fri Mar 23 07:35:01 PDT 2012

Hi,
I have just installed Xorg, under an Arch Linux system following carefully the instructions in the Beginner's Guide. I start it up as described with startx and see a few xterms and the xclock - everything as it should be AFAIK. I then switch to virtual terminal 2 with Ctrl-Alt-2 to check something in the text environment. Switch back to the graphical environment with Alt-F7 and can't believe my eyes when I see 4 narrow Xterms next to one another!!!
These are four copies of one of the xterms (not 4 separate xterms, anything typed now appears simultaneously in all four).
(Have a look at this link http://home.iae.nl/users/summer/Photos/Post_Alt-F7.png to see what I mean)
I have already done a lot of reading and searching in the Arch doumentation and this is the third time of installation.
I would be very grateful for the slightest hint or clue of what direction to look in for a solution because I've run out of ideas for the time being.

I've put a listing of the Xorg.0.log in the pastebin at  <http://paste.pocoo.org/show/569479/>http://paste.pocoo.org/show/569479/ the video card in my old laptop is a ProSavage8 KM266/KL266.

I'd be glad to provide any other input needed.

Of course this is not really a critical error as I can use and am using my new Arch system for a variety of activities, but It would be hice to crack this anomaly!!!

Cheers,

Dick Summerfield,
Eindhoven,
Netherlands.