newbie “resource temporarily unavailable” question

Alan Corey alan01346 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 28 20:45:40 PDT 2012

I’m just plinking around after having read the early chapters of the
O’Reilly volumes 4a and 6a plus some Athena and Xlib stuff. I was
itching to try some things.  For my background see
http://ab1jx.webs.com  For graphics programming I’ve mostly worked in
Turbo Pascal and Delphi.

So I get this error message in my second Intrinsics/Athena program and
I’d like to know the possible causes of it.  If I Google for it all I
find are mentions of it cropping up in specific applications.  There’s
nothing mission-critical here, it’s just practice.  Knowing where to
find longer versions of error messages in general would be a good
thing.

I’m trying to make a simple oscilloscope type program.  I’m using a
Panner for an output screen.  I can make a Pixmap and draw a grid onto
it with XDrawSegments, test it with XWriteBitmapFile, but when I try
to use XCopyPlane to copy to the Panner I get the unavailable message.
 I can use XDrawSegments directly on the Panner (well, once anyway),
copy the grid into another Pixmap with XCopyPlane, most other things
seem to work.    Aside from the unavailable message I get a black
rectangle where the Pixmap should be.  Nothing shows up in
/var/log/Xorg.0.log about it, and it’s not fatal: I can keep running
the program.  I wouldn’t have known it was there except I put a perror
after the XCopyPlane to investigate the black Pixmap.

Source code and screenshot at http://ab1jx.webs.com/toys/sscope/index.html

  Alan

--
Credit is the root of all evil.  - AB1JX