Xinerama dual-head configuration with the open-source mga driver

Youssef Eldakar youssefeldakar at gmail.com
Mon Jun 11 02:07:58 PDT 2012

I installed Ubuntu 12.04 on a 32-bit machine that has a Matrox G450
dual-head AGP. The xserver-xorg package installed is 1:7.6+12ubuntu1, and
the xserver-xorg-video-mga package installed is 1:1.4.13.dfsg-4build2. In
X, both monitors come on but display the same output. I enabled Xinerama in
xorg.conf and defined the dual-head configuration hoping I would get one
desktop spread across both monitors but still had the same mirrored output.

With the official driver from Matrox on this version of X, only one monitor
turns on.

I was trying to locate information on the status of the open-source mga
driver but did not find much on wiki.x.org/wiki/mga. Is a Xinerama
dual-head configuration supposed to be supported with the open-source
driver for the G450? If not, is it planned to be supported soon?

Youssef Eldakar