X won't start on Intel HD Graphics 4000 (Lenovo X230)

Steve Ramage ubuntu at sjrx.net
Thu Jul 26 10:15:36 PDT 2012

I have a problem with getting X to start on a Lenovo X230 running Kubuntu 12.04. I'm not really sure where to go with this issue, as I secretly suspect it's a driver issue, but I thought I'd come here first.

There are a bunch of issues I'm having with my new Lenovo X230 laptop (with multiple monitors). Basically getting the multiple monitors enabled in the desired configuration (DVI output left of VGA output, laptop display off), is very finicky, and actually involves about 5 changes to get it to work. That said I thought I would start small and go with the first issue, and that is that I can't start X with anything hooked into the mini DisplayPort

Please see the attached log files (with xdiagnose enabled). It seems kdm keeps trying to start at 8 seconds, and again then around 24 seconds, then I unplug the display port connector and X starts. Additionally I've tried both mini Display Port -> VGA and mini Display Port - DVI and both do this.

Thank you,

Steve Ramage

Syslog: http://pastebin.com/RmdkvQvR

Xorg: http://pastebin.com/QcqP86sR