vesa_drv compatibility question

soul sick_soul at yahoo.it
Sun Jul 22 02:38:35 PDT 2012

Hello,

I have a two part question about vesa and the xf86-video-vesa driver (vesa_drv).

First, I found mentioned in the vesa (4) manpage:

"
SUPPORTED HARDWARE
       The vesa driver supports most VESA-compatible video cards.   There  are
       some known exceptions, and those should be listed here.
"

Is there a list of such "known exceptions"? That is, VESA-compatible
cards which are known NOT to work at all or well enough with this
driver?

Secondly, in more general terms, how likely is it to find Laptops
(especially), or PC/monitor combinations which are NOT
VESA-compatible?
In other words, assuming a perfect VESA driver, how many x86 / AMD-64
laptop or PC users can be reached by targeting the VESA standard?

Thank you,

C.