Xorg CPU consumption extremely high

Nikos Kasioumis kasioumis at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 14:34:45 PDT 2012

Hello,

my system is:
* Debian testing, kernel kernel 3.2.0-3-rt-686-pae
* Xorg server version number 11.0 (vendor version 1.12.1.902 (11201902))
* my graphics card is: NVIDIA Corporation GF119 [GeForce GT 520M] (rev a1)
* I'm using the nvidia proprietary drivers, version 302.17
* my CPU is Intel Atom D2700 2.13 GHz Dual-Core
* my graphical environment is Gnome version 3.0

As soon as I log into Gnome and open Google Chrome (for example) just to
open a new tab or switch from one tab to the other the CPU consumption of
Xorg (as observed in top) goes up to 70%, 80% or even 90%. The system
becomes unresponsive for about a second and then the CPU usage of Xorg
drops to more normal levels again (<10%). This happens with other simpler
applications too such as gnome-terminal (opening new tabs, switching tabs,
etc). Needless to say it's impossible to use the system like that.

Is there a known issue with this combination of software / versions etc?
Any ideas / suggestions about what I could try?

Thank you in advance,

Nikos Kasioumis