Keyboardmapping with evdev

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Thu Jul 12 23:03:00 PDT 2012

On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 10:05:37AM +0200, Daniel Spannbauer wrote:
> Am 07/12/2012 08:33 AM, schrieb Daniel Spannbauer:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I try to get a german keyboard mapping on our own keyboard on a machine
> > with opensuse 11.4 (Xorg 7.6) and fglrx 8.930.
> >
> > My conf seems to be ok...
> >
> > ---------------------------------
> > Section "InputClass"
> >         Identifier "evdev keyboard catchall"
> >         MatchIsKeyboard "on"
> >         MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/event*"
> >         Driver "evdev"
> > EndSection
> >

> > Section "InputClass"
> >         Identifier "LocalKeyboard"
> >         MatchIsKeyboard "on"
> >         Option  "XkbLayout"     "de"
> > EndSection
> > -------------------------------------
> >

> > According to the Xorg.0.log ( http://paste.opensuse.org/5436713 )the
> > german keyboard mapping should be active...but it is not. The layout is
> > still "us".

please don't attach logs as pastebins. your post is set to expire in 4
weeks, after which it loses all information to future readers. so it may
help you right now, but there's nothing left for posterity.

> > If I connect a USB-Keyboard at the same time the layout on that
> > USB-Keyboard is german. After I press one key on that usb-keyboard our
> > own keyboard is also german.....
> >
> > Can anybody help me to figure out the problem? At normal circumstances I
> > can't connect an other keyboard.
>

> Additional Info:
>
> If I do a "setxkbmap -query -verbose 10" I get the following:

> Setting verbose level to 10
> locale is C
> Applied rules from evdev:
> rules:      evdev
> model:      evdev
> layout:     de
> Trying to build keymap using the following components:
> keycodes:   evdev+aliases(qwertz)
> types:      complete
> compat:     complete
> symbols:    pc+de+inet(evdev)+terminate(ctrl_alt_bksp)
> geometry:   pc(pc104)
> rules:      evdev
> model:      evdev
> layout:     de
>
> But the Keyboard is still us/english. After a "setxkbmap de" the
> Keyboard is german.
>
> Any ideas?

I suspect your desktop environment (GNOME? KDE?) overrides your choice of
xorg.conf.

Cheers,
  Peter