Two X servers, one box

Cook, Rich cook47 at llnl.gov
Tue Jul 3 09:07:32 PDT 2012

My understanding is that the xterm properly goes before the -- .  All args after -- are passed to the X server.  I guess I can just read startx, it's a simple script

On Jul 3, 2012, at 2:22 AM, Felix Miata wrote:

> On 2012/07/03 01:23 (GMT) Cook, Rich composed:
>
>> Cook, Rich wrote:
>
>>> I am trying to run two instances of X.Org X Server 1.10.4 per node of our dual-GPU Red Hat cluster.
>>> I do this:
>>> /usr/bin/startx /usr/bin/xterm -display :0 -- -nolock -auth /g/g0/rcook/.Xauthority-0 :0
>>> and this:
>>> /usr/bin/startx /usr/bin/xterm -display :1 -- -nolock -auth /g/g0/rcook/.Xauthority-1 :1
>
>>> And I almost get there -- in fact, it worked once.  But mostly the X server starts but I get "invalid MIT-MAGICK-COOKIE" errors which don't show up in the Xorg logfile, so I assume I'm very close, just doing something wrong with xauth.
>
>>> Can anyone on this list help a poor man out?  Thanks
>
>> Ah hell, now it's just working.  How strange.  No doubt as soon as I send this it will stop working again.
>> Never mind!  Thanks.
>
> I frequently add a second X instance on :1 in 1.12.2 and earlier, but start it thus:
>
> 	startx -- :1
>
> Could it be the sometimes problem is the order of (/usr/bin/xterm -display) :1 and --, that -- needs to go first?
> --
> "The wise are known for their understanding, and pleasant
> words are persuasive." Proverbs 16:21 (New Living Translation)
>
> Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409 ** a11y rocks!
>
> Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/

✐Richard Cook
✇ Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
Bldg-453 Rm-4024, Mail Stop L-557
7000 East Avenue,  Livermore, CA, 94550, USA
☎ (office) (925) 423-9605
☎ (fax) (925) 423-6961
---
Information Management & Graphics Grp., Services & Development Div., Integrated Computing & Communications Dept.
(opinions expressed herein are mine and not those of LLNL)