ubuntu 11.10 computer trouble

walter harms wharms at bfs.de
Mon Jan 30 00:36:49 PST 2012

Am 30.01.2012 08:40, schrieb Bernhard Hummel:
> First thanks for your quick response!
>
> i downloaded the documentation on xorg. Maybe this rotation matter is
> there explained.

you can use xrandr all time.

> i searched and searched trought the internet yesterday but none of the
> instructions on how to generate the xorg.conf file worked.
>
> i tryed even this
> sudo service lightdm stop
> sudo Xorg -configure
> and in the ubuntuguide: sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver.xorg
> sudo service lightdm start
> really nothing worked!

It would help if you could explain what exactly the error is.
You should have access to /var/log/Xorg.0.log that will show
what is going on.

I do not now what is ubuntu doing right now, but for testing it
is best to reduce everything to basic level.
1. stop your display manager (i assume that will bring you back to
a real commandline)
2. start X direcly  - maybe you will see some errors here already

hope that helps,

> the system asked me for a module vmwgfx ...

No idea what this means but may this helps:
http://vmware-forum.de/viewtopic.php?t=22552

re,
 wh