KVM/Scroll Lock behavior

Samuel Thibault samuel.thibault at ens-lyon.org
Thu Jan 19 01:34:16 PST 2012

Todd Pytel, le Wed 18 Jan 2012 22:07:10 -0600, a écrit :
> 2) In an untweaked X session, the Num Lock LED works while the Scroll
> Lock one does not. Both keys register in xev output.
>
> 3) After "xmodmap -e 'add mod3 = Scroll_Lock'", the Scroll Lock LED
> works. But it still doesn't trigger the KVM.
>
> 4) Even without the xmodmap line, twiddling the LED's via xset both
> toggles the LED's and triggers the KVM.

These are extremely surprising. I'd have thought that KVM uses the
keyboard *keypresses*, not the LED changes, to achieve the switch...

I guess if you use setleds in the Linux console, the KVM switches too?

You could try to use strace to check the system call difference between
lighting scroll lock through the key and through xset, but in principle
there is none, thus the surprise with 3) vs 4) above.

Samuel