libxcb-1.8 build error (FreeBSD amd64 10.0-CURRENT)

Conrad J. Sabatier conrads at cox.net
Wed Jan 18 03:19:37 PST 2012

On Wed, 18 Jan 2012 01:25:59 -0600
"Conrad J. Sabatier" <conrads at cox.net> wrote:

> On Wed, 18 Jan 2012 08:07:29 +0100
> Arkadiusz Miśkiewicz <arekm at maven.pl> wrote:
>
> > On Tuesday 17 of January 2012, Conrad J. Sabatier wrote:
> > > Unable to solve this one.  Any pointers, anyone?
> >
> > Update your xcb-proto package to 1.7. Someone forgot to do the bump
> > in configure check.
>
> Yep, that did the trick!  Thanks!

Unfortunately, after installing the new xcb-proto and libxcb, X stopped
working.  Obviously, I need to rebuild some other Xorg packages.  The
problem is that the dependency tracking method used by FreeBSD's ports
collection and its tools often causes packages to be listed as
dependent on a given package when they are, in fact, only indirectly
dependent, yielding excessively large lists of dependent packages.  In
the case of libxcb, pkg_info lists 771 dependent packages!

This is clearly absurd.  I've temporarily reverted to the previous
version of libxcb until I can sort out this mess.  <groan>

--
Conrad J. Sabatier
conrads at cox.net