Starting X with VGA on and LVDS off

Wolfgang Draxinger wdraxinger.maillist at draxit.de
Fri Jan 6 18:31:51 PST 2012

On Thu, 05 Jan 2012 11:29:29 -0500
Adam Jackson <ajax at redhat.com> wrote:

> Actually you need to do this _after_ the window manager has started.

The WM is just another client to the X server.

> Otherwise, once the xrandr command completes, the server will
> regenerate and the output order will be reset.

Sorry, what? Why would you expect this? Changing xrandr settings before
starting a WM works just fine. The behaviour of the X server must not
be any different regardless of an WM being active or not.

Here's a video for you, where I do exactly this:
http://dl.wolfgang-draxinger.net/xrandr_startup.mkv

Wolfgang