Lenient dead keys

Alan Coopersmith alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
Tue Jan 3 13:31:26 PST 2012

On 01/02/12 00:57, Andre Majorel wrote:
> Is there is a way to have a dead key output itself and the next
> key if there is no valid combination ?
>
> E.G. with [^] mapped to dead_circumflex, have [^][a] output "â"
> but [^][b] output "^b" instead of nothing.

The best I can think of is to add entries for each unassigned combo, such as:

<dead_circumflex> <b>           : "^b"

to $HOME/.XCompose as described in the XCompose man page, but I haven't
tested to confirm that works.   You should be able to find the existing
entries in a Compose file for your locale, such as
/usr/share/X11/locale/en_US.UTF-8/Compose (exact location may depend on
the configure flags used to build/package libX11).

	-Alan Coopersmith-        alan.coopersmith at oracle.com