Ubuntu Dual Monitor (Matrox) problem

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Sun Feb 19 23:51:13 PST 2012

On Sun, 19 Feb 2012 19:44:51 +0100
Szántó-Várnagy Ádám <szanto.adam at gmail.com> wrote:

> I want to enable my secondary Matrox card, which cannot be used by default.
> I have tried to autoconfigure an xorg.conf, which failed to work (X won't
> start). Here are the details:

I really hate to say that, but don't use a matrox card.
The support in x.org has been... "declining" for years. The driver
is more often broken than working. Anything but the most simple
configuration (single screen, low resolution) is not garanteed to work...
and even that often fails too.

I have been using a matrox card for over 10 years and was very happy
with it, but having to manually fix the driver every time my distro
updated x.org was not fun at all..especially if the bug has been known
for months already.

In the end i bought myself a cheap ati which has far better support.
I suggest you do the same, if you can.

			Attila Kinali
--
Why does it take years to find the answers to
the questions one should have asked long ago?