turn off touchpad scrolling?

Jeremy C. Reed reed at reedmedia.net
Sat Feb 4 06:03:57 PST 2012

I moved to a new laptop with different Xorg and xterm install. (My
window manager stayed the same.) Periodically my xterms would start (I
thought) randomly scrolling or -- even worse -- pasting from my buffer.

I didn't see anything in xterm manual about this.

After a day of use, I noticed that two fingers on the track pad caused
the scrolling. (As you can see, I have no experience with this
multitouch.)

I turned it off with:

  synclient VertTwoFingerScroll=0

But then later noticed pasting was still happening. I could reproduce
finally by tapping with two fingers. So I turned it off:

  synclient TapButton2=0

And sometimes my mouse will jump across the screen and then focus a new
window. I don't like focus follows mouse, so I will turn off the
accidental tap that brought focus:

  synclient TapButton1=0

I also did:

  synclient TapButton3=0

But still sometimes my xterm content will scroll still when I bump or
drag hand on the pad. I can't reproduce it. Sometimes content gets
pasted in. Can anyone share some hints on some other things to look at?

I did read some through the synaptics(4) manual. This lubuntu system has
X.Org X Server 1.10.4 Release Date: 2011-08-19.

xserver-xorg-input-synaptics  1.4.1-1ubuntu2
xserver-xorg                  1:7.6+7ubuntu7.1
xserver-xorg-core             2:1.10.4-1ubuntu4.2
xserver-xorg-input-all        1:7.6+7ubuntu7.1
xserver-xorg-input-evdev      1:2.6.0-1ubuntu13
xserver-xorg-input-mouse      1:1.7.1-1
xterm                         271-1ubuntu2
(and a lot more)

I first thought this was a xterm feature so I tried to change some
scrolling settings, but then saw it was in firefox too.

(Over time, I may learn to accept and enjoy these new features, but
until then I'd like to understand what causes them.)

Thanks!