tablet as a second monitor on linux

Alan Cox alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk
Wed Dec 19 05:02:14 PST 2012

On Tue, 18 Dec 2012 19:30:03 +0100
Adam Groszer <agroszer.ll at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to use an android tablet as a secondary monitor for my laptop.
> Secondary monitor as one physical would be plugged into the VGA port.
> Googling resulted in no concrete solution.

Do you want to be able to move windows between the two. If so they need
to be on the same X screen and that really means putting them on the same
video card right now (although Dave Airlie and others are working in this
area)

If you want them to be all part of the same thing I'd look at x11vnc,
Resize the master display to cover both the tablet and the PC and then
you can feed part of it out via vnc to the tablet.

If you want a separate display then there are various options to do this
with x11vnc spawning or binding to X servers. You can also combine them
with novnc and an HTML5 capable browser to do fun things like getting a
login screen in the browser if you point it at the box.

Alan