tablet as a second monitor on linux

Adam GROSZER agroszer.ll at gmail.com
Wed Dec 19 00:21:12 PST 2012

On 12/18/2012 08:44 PM, Alex Deucher wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 18, 2012 at 1:30 PM, Adam Groszer <agroszer.ll at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm trying to use an android tablet as a secondary monitor for my laptop.
>> Secondary monitor as one physical would be plugged into the VGA port.
>> Googling resulted in no concrete solution.
>
> Does the tablet have a VGA input port and can it act as a monitor or
> are you asking about using it as a virtual second monitor?  If the
> latter, you can probably play with xdmx assuming you can get an
> xserver running on the tablet, however, there's no real official
> solution that I know of.  Anything will basically be a hack.
>
> Alex

No VGA, I definitely need it as virtual, any communication can go only
over TCP/IP.

There's an xserver for android, but it's rather incomplete.
Starting xfwm4 with it burps a lot of errors.
As it looks the most solid way to mirror a screen to a tablet is vnc.

The question is, how to create the secondary headless virtual monitor
with X. I'm lost there.
(Maybe I'll force with xrandr to display that secondary on the VGA
against no real monitor connected.
Something along:
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/intel-gfx/2009-October/004531.html
or
http://askubuntu.com/questions/150879/can-i-force-vga-signal-output-even-when-xrandr-shows-disconnected
Because what I actually want is like having a second monitor, but it's
"attached" via vnc-TCP/IP)

--
Best regards,
  Adam GROSZER