IR remote control as mouse

Tormod Volden lists.tormod at gmail.com
Thu Dec 13 11:58:41 PST 2012

On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 3:32 AM, johnea wrote:
> On 2012-12-07 21:00, johnea wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I've previously used LIRC for IR remote control of multimedia software, as well as configuring the arrow keys, of the remote, to function as a mouse.
>>
>> Can both of these functions be implemented via xorg configuration?
>>
>> Remapping the buttons to control the media player is working, but without access to key codes greater than 255.
>>
>> Is there a way to configure the arrow and enter keys to function as an evdev mouse?

If you want to make an evdev device, look at the uinput interface
http://thiemonge.org/getting-started-with-uinput (unless you want to
make a kernel driver).

Alternatively, I think you can rather easily make a small lircd client
which calls xdotool (or uses libxdo itself).
http://www.lirc.org/html/lircd.html
http://www.semicomplete.com/projects/xdotool/xdotool.xhtml#mouse_commands
http://www.semicomplete.com/files/xdotool/docs/html/xdo_8h.html#aa15b8082764bbd889545c30364f18145

Regards,