Difficulty running X11 on Toshiba Satellite A10-S1692 running FreeBSD 9.0 - some progress

Bernard Higonnet bthigonnet at gmail.com
Sun Aug 26 10:18:47 PDT 2012

On 21/08/2012 02:58, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 20, 2012 at 12:04 PM, Bernard Higonnet <bthcom at higonnet.net> wrote:
>> There appeared to be no errors in any of the install, Xorg -configure is
>> happy.
>>
>> But when I run Xorg -config xorg.conf.new (with or without -retro) screen
>> goes black, computer freezes and I can only restart it by first powering
>> off...
>>
>> I have searched for configuration files for this machine without success.
>>
>> The output of pciconf says
>>
>> vgapci0 at pci0:0:2:0:     class=0x030000 card=0x00021179 chip=0x35828086
>> rev=0x01 hdr=0x00
>> vgapci1 at pci0:0:2:1:     class=0x038000 card=0x00021179 chip=0x35828086
>> rev=0x01 hdr=0x00
>
> OK. Maybe a bit more information would help.
>
>   What do you get from 'pciconf -lv'? Can you start Xorg without trying
> to create a config file? Most systems today will start out of the box
> and the configuration generator has been know to lock up. What about
> make.conf? Do you have WITH_NEW_XORG in it or any other options tied
> to video or Xorg?

Well, I replaced
          Driver      "intel"   by
          Driver      "vesa"

Now when I run X with xorg.conf.new and -retro I get the herringbone
pattern and I can move the mouse around.

That's the good news.

The bad news is I can not get out of this and still have to power down
the machine to regain control of it...

Bernard Higonnet